Monday, November 10, 2008

New Pumpkin Bread

I posted my Pumpkin Bread recipe a little while back. I loved it, it was delicious and it proved that I actually did have some baking ability! I started making them in mini-muffin pans to have around the house to pop in my mouth while running out the door for breakfast or for just a quick snack.

I was playing around in my Google Reader and came across another version on Skinny Food By Amy who got it from Kate at Good Things Catered, who adapted it from The Joy of Cooking. I gave it a shot and am super happy that I did! Below is my interpretation.

Ingredients:
1 ½ C all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt (When I first read this, I thought that it sounded like a lot of salt but went with it anyway...I don't eat a lot of salt at all, so next time I'll lower it to ½ tsp)
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger (Didn't have any...used a mix of Allspice and Pumpkin Pie Spice)
1 tsp ground nutmeg (See above!)
½ tsp ground cloves (See above...then see above that!)

1/3 C milk (Actually didn't have any! Used 1/3 cup International Delight Sugar Free Hazelnut Creamer...YUM!)
½ tsp vanilla
6 Tbsp butter, at room temp (I used applesauce instead)
1 C granulated sugar (I used Splenda)
1/3 C packed brown sugar
2 large eggs (I used Better 'N Eggs)
1 C pumpkin puree

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Have all ingredients at room temp (I have no patience...didn't do this!).
- Spray 9x5 loaf pan (or muffin tins).
- Whisk together flour, soda, powder, salt and spices thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, combine milk and vanilla
- In large bowl of mixer beat butter until creamy (about 30 sec)I added my applesauce in with the milk and vanilla
- Add sugars and beat on high speed about 2-3 minutes
- Beat in eggs one at a time (Again, no patience. I dumped 'em in.)
- Add pumpkin puree on low speed until just blended
- Add flour mixture in 3 parts alternating with the milk mixture in 2 parts beating on low or stirring with spatula until just combined Do you think I did this or do you think I plopped everything together and started stirring?
- Scrape batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (It took me about 68 minutes).

Final Verdict: Absolutely delish! I think this one has replaced my old pumpkin bread recipe. Though I loved the thought of the oats in the last recipe, I think they made the bread a little too dense. This one is a bit fluffier and downright tasty! (You may want to try my less salt suggestion!) Sorry no picture...it looks like the old pumpkin bread, just a little darker due to the whole wheat flour.

No comments: