Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Who Do I Think I Am, Betty Crocker?!

I’ve been on a baking kick lately, which is surprising since that was usually Lindsey’s deal when we were growing up. I like having portable breakfast-type items around the house so Justin and I can grab them and go in the mornings.

I came across a banana bread recipe a couple weeks ago that looked too easy to be good, but I gave it a shot. I didn’t splurge on buying nuts since I wanted to try it out first. I’ll definitely make it again and definitely with nuts!

Banana Sometimes-Nut, Sometimes-Not Bread
1 ½ Cups Flour
1 ½ Tsp Baking Powder
¼-½ Cup Chopped Nuts (Walnuts, Pecans, etc) (I omitted until recipe was deemed worthy of using expensive nuts...hey gotta save the $$ for my wine!)
¼ Tsp Baking Soda
¼ Tsp Cinnamon
¼ Tsp Nutmeg (I added)
1 egg (I used ¼ cup Egg Substitute)
1 Cup Mashed Bananas
¾ Cup Sugar (I used ¼ cup Splenda Brown Sugar and ½ cup Splenda)
⅛ Tsp salt
¼ Cup Vegetable Oil (I used ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce)

Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.

Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Then combine. Pour into loaf pan.

Bake for 50-55 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 10 Servings....

Calories 121.1
Total Fat .4 g
Protein 2.8 g
I know, super easy, right? And super good! I love it with my healthier substitutions so I doubt I’ll ever revert to the unhealthier recipe. Gotta save those calories for my wine!

No comments: