Sunday, September 07, 2008

Honey Brushed Spicy Chicken Breasts

One of my passions is cooking...maybe that's why my butt keeps growing, but whatever. I love reading cooking blogs, books and magazines finding new recipes to try. (Thankfully, I have a 6'5", 220lb man who loves being my guinea pig to try new food on!) I plan on sharing my successes and the not-so-much successes. If you find something you like, give it a shot! Enjoy!

One Sunday afternoon we were sitting in the living room...he was studying, I was looking for a good chicken recipe for dinner. I told him I was going to pick three chicken dishes and he would decide which one I would make tonight! This is what he picked!

Honey Brushed Spicy Chicken Thighs
*Don't think we only eat monochromatic meals of just meat and carbs...there was a GIANT salad filled with (colorful!) veggies already on the table!

2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground red pepper (I used red pepper flakes)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Cooking spray
6 tbsp honey
2 tbsp cider vinegar (I only had red wine, so that's what I used!)
Couple sprigs of green onion, diced
Preheat oven to 350º. Trim the chicken of any excess fat.

Combine first 6 dry ingredients in a large Ziploc bag. Add chicken and toss around to coat. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and place chicken on the sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes (until 98% done!). While the chicken is cooking, combine the honey and cider vinegar, whisk until combined. Take out the chicken and brush each side with the honey mixture. Beef up the oven to Broil. Broil an additional 1 minute on each side. Brush with a bit more of the honey mixture. I topped mine with some green onions.

*NOTE* The recipe originally called for chicken thighs, not breasts. I'm not a fan of thighs, so I decided it would still be great with chicken breasts. The orig recipe said to broil the chicken in the oven. I wasn't too sure this would be the best way to cook the breasts, so I called Food 911 (aka My Mom!) and she said to bake it @ 350º and it'd be fine! If you like chicken thighs, sub them in for the breasts and try broiling them! 6 minutes on each side! Everything else stays the same!

Adapted from Cooking Light

No comments: